[ARRived THEME PLAYING] Rahman: Music is like oxygen for me. The world is my stage and it’s time
for a new authentic voice to step into it and make it theirs. Many roads, many folks, one destination. This is YouTube Originals, ARRived. I’m here to find an original voice
in search of its destiny. To help me in this expedition is my A team. Clinton: We have arrived
to search for the future of music and the voice to be part
of the blockbuster film, Zero. Shah Rukh: Join me in the journey to
witness the search for the voice of Zero only on ARRived. Shaan: In this musical journey of 13 episodes there are lots of unique voices
and lots of fun. There were thousands of entries
from all over India but only 100 were selected. I want my music to reach
thousands of people through ARRived. My dream is to sing with A. R. Rahman. And today, I am standing
on the door step of my dream. Vidya: 100 participants auditioned in Mumbai where they were given the best of facilities so they can put their best foot forward. It can go a little down. Increase track level to 20 to 30 percent. Give a little reverb. Videos of 45 short listed singers were then taken
to the Mecca of music studios in India A.M. Studio in Chennai. And A. R. Rahman
along with Shaan, Vidya and I will view the videos to now shortlist the top 30 singers for the boot camp. We’ve arrived! – Rahman: Please sit down.
– Clinton: This is going to be fun. I’m looking forward to this. Hello from Los Angeles! Hello! I am there virtually in this amazing studio and I can see how amazing it all looks. It’s nice to see you in this shape and form. I know I’m in a box. For those who know Vidya Vox,
we have Vidya in a box today. Brilliant. But whatever will happen here,
will be totally out of the box. Because of course we are in
AM Studio, Chennai and it’s great to be here. Rang De Basanti, Slumdog Millionaire. All the… And this is where I sang
Phoolon Jaisi from Ek Deewana Tha. – Lataji sang Lukka Chuppi here.
– Wow! Sing a few lines for us. So, Vidya, you ready to enjoy the show? I am so ready. I feel like we have some amazing talent
that we’ve all selected and can’t wait to see everyone’s videos and see what Rahman sir thinks of them. Most of them have day jobs but playback is their passion. Most people look like they haven’t even
been to a studio or had the chance to record.
So, really excited to find the singer that we would spend money to see on stage. – Rahman: Mm-hmm.
– Shaan: Yeah. That’s fine, but we can nurture them. – Something… generally… Right?
– Yeah. Yes, definitely. Yeah, because nothing comes prepared Shaan: True. It’s always better
they have their own personality. – Shaan: True.
– And that’s what I love usually… – Don’t you think?
– I think that… that if they have that X factor,
if they have something special then everything else,
we can work with them on. Shall we watch the first one?
I’m really excited. I have Antara Nandy. She’s an 18-year-old
and she’s also a YouTuber. Strangely, I have an 18-year-old too. She’s not a YouTuber,
but she’s also kind of, she’s quite… You can tell there’s a training to her voice. – So, let’s pit them together.
– Yes, let’s do it. The clash of the 18-year-olds. – Do they both have driving licenses?
– Let’s see. I’m Antara Nandy and I’m from Assam. I’m Nandinee Sarkar and I’m from Assam. I’m an 18-year-old. I’ve just turned 18 this year
and I’m very passionate about singing. Music is my passion. Antara: I started getting trained in music
when I was four and a half years old. And my training in Hindustani Classical Music
started at Ustad Rashid Khan’s Academy. Nandinee: I just want the crowd to enjoy my concerts,
like waving flashlights… I want such a life. Five of my videos had gone viral
on social media five years ago. Right now, I really want my video
to go viral. Antara: ARRived is
a very important platform for me. Today, when Mr. Rahman hears me sing who knows… Maybe he will like my voice. And I finally get to work with my god. Nandinee: If I win ARRived then, my wish is to have such a concert… So, I want to win this show. [SINGING KEHNA HI KYA] [inaudible] – Keep her.
– Yeah? – The passage is just…
– We will keep her. It’s just one note. – First note…
– Training, right, you can’t… All those stuff can be worked out. Yeah, we can… There’s a lilt in her voice, right? True and I don’t think she’s ever
sung, you know… – Doesn’t have to.
– Yeah, in a stage or anything so… The whole experience. Wow. We love her. I’d love to see her personality
transform through the course of the show once we get into boot camp with her. I think, yeah what’s fascinating is without the knowledge
sometime the way they pronounce – Yeah.
– it’s got, kind of a charm. – Yeah.
– And that she’s got like certain words how… – Rafi sir used to…
– Shaan: Right, right. She’s very unaffected as well. Yeah, I really like her. Wow. Nandinee is definitely on the boot camp. Definitely top 30. [SINGING BAIRI PIYA] Yeah. You can tell she’s a YouTuber. She’s… – Confidence…
– Yeah. Moving and catching the cameras. Both are in? Both are in? – For good reasons?
– Antara… Mukhda… I liked everything. – Into the boot camp.
– Totally. Narrator: Nandinee and Antara became the
first two singers to arrive in the top 30. Since we’re talking about this
the YouTube thing and you have YouTubers. So many people who’ve started their channel. Even I’ve started one for myself. But some really get popular and some don’t. Maybe Vidya can throw light on this. Vidya, what is the thing
that works for aYouTuber that doesn’t work for another YouTuber? It’s a lot of factors. One, regularity of content
and high quality of content. And then, two, I think it’s just like the right little magic.
It just happens. I think valuing people’s time. Don’t put something
which is going to waste people’s time. They want something new
they want something… They want to get enriched in their lives. I try to see the clutter.
So there’s a clutter of this kind of covers and then
there’s a beautiful song which nobody’s ever touched and then practice that
for two years and then come out and then blow people’s mind. – True. Yeah.
– And then that song gets popular and then you have… – You’ve become good at it.
– Yeah, you’ve.. You kind of… You take that song forward. Stuff like that. There’s no formulas. It’s just that don’t do what other people are doing. People sending me covers of Dil Se. – Right, right, right…
– I said no. Okay, why should I listen
to my own song covers? – Already been made.
– I would rather listen to a ‘Thumri.’ Vidya has been doing the
mashups, you know, English… – Mashups, I’ll come to you later.
– That is pretty good. – Rahman: I’ll come to you later.
– Oh, God. Hey, for the record,
I’m only doing original music now. – Great.
– Okay. So, no bash up on the mashups? What’s up? Hi! Welcome to India’s first
YouTube Originals show ARRived. – And we have arrived.
– Arrived! So let’s do it! We have singers with unique voices
from all over India. They are sitting inside and waiting. By the way, we forgot to introduce ourselves. He is Prit. Why must we introduce ourselves?
We are quite famous. – We are indeed famous.
– We have five subscribers. Five in total!
My mom is one of them. Whatever! Anyway, this is Taruk Raina.
And we are Jumbo Jatts. And now we are preparing
for the kick-off auditions. Kick-off. – But, listen…
– Yeah? – I don’t think we should go right in.
– Why? Let’s blend in with the participants. How do we blend in with the participants? We can talk to them
and get some secret information. You mean spies. Yes, bro, I think I should shave before I go. – Yeah, get a shave.
– Okay. But I want to become a participant.
Will you join me? – Done, bro.
– We can be a duo. Done. Let’s go in. They don’t know
what’s going to hit them, bro. They don’t know. [indistinct chatter] Are you sweating out of nervousness? It’s slightly hot as I’m still wearing my Darjeeling jacket. We will find out soon. – Look sad.
– Should I sing with a sad face… Look upset, that will do. [whines] It seems like a frown. What does “A” stands for in A.R. Rahman? Allah. – And “R?”
– Rakha. – Okay.
– We knew, we were just testing you. – That’s all.
– Yes, sure. I am petrified. It’s my first show that I’m going to do if I’m, obviously… That’s a good thing. That’s good… So there’s nothing to lose. – It’s only to win.
– Win. Exactly, bro. – Everyone feels scared.
– Yes. But you can overcome fear by… – Taking a breath.
– A breath. – Yes.
– Do this. – Your nose.
– Not inside, outside… – Yes.
– And then, take deep breaths. – Yes. Faster… Close your eyes.
– Like this? It’s working for you, my friend.
Yes, look, your nose has turned red. – Yes!
– That means you’re not nervous anymore. – Best of luck.
– Don’t worry. – I think you’ll do well.
– Yes. – I hope so.
– Come on. Set the stage on fire. Start a revolution. – Yeah.
– Go get ’em, tiger. Go! [SINGING HUMMA HUMMA] He looks a bit shell-shocked, doesn’t he? – Mm-hmm?
– He looks a bit shell-shocked. He’s enjoying it. There’s a nice raw thing about him already. – Whoa.
– Okay. The voice character is interesting. It sounds like an original voice,
rather than trying to be somebody else copying somebody else. That’s the biggest flaw I think, and if they are naturally going towards a personality. Even if they’re a little flawed
we can correct that, with with the expertise of Clinton, of course. [Rahman laughs] Of course, no, I mean
I’m very happy to, in fact. But I, because I honestly think that if we are looking for character, and if we’re looking for uniqueness then we shouldn’t be afraid of
putting the work in to get… To get them where they need to be. So I think… Let’s get him into the boot camp. – Alright.
– Yeah. – Into boot camp. Yes!
– Shaan: Vidya? Your boy is in. I wasn’t expecting this at all. I got a call. I was terrified. I called my mom and told her first.
She was out of this world. Totally unexpected… It was very unexpected. Okay, so, next, we have Shivam Mishra from Lucknow. I’ve reached the location of YouTube ARRived. And now, I can’t wait
to see Mr. A.R Rahman sir. I can’t wait to perform in front of him. So… [tape rewinds] Today is the biggest day of my life. Because today, the auditions of ARRived
will take place in Mumbai. And I don’t know anything.
I don’t know how I’ll get there. But it’s going to be very exciting.
So, let’s see what happens. [UPBEAT MUSIC] All the best, dear… – Best of luck, Brother.
– Thank you. Thank you. It is evening and I’m not getting any rides. And I haven’t eaten. How far is the station from here? – Very far…
– Oh, God! I want to go to Charbagh. – You want to go to Charbagh?
– Yes. I will take you. Finally after travelling for one and a half days I have reached the railway station! [train horn blaring] I boarded the train to Mumbai. Finally, I have reached
the location of YouTube ARRived and now I can’t wait to see
Mr. A.R. Rahman sir. I can’t wait to perform
in front of him, so… [HUMMA HUMMA PLAYING] – He nailed that one, huh?
– Yeah. Nice. I can’t judge this because… [Shaan laughs] Seen a voice like his yet and with the males so I think that’s… – True.
– Yeah. Also, I love his confidence levels. Just the way he came in
with this song, it was enough. You like? She like? You like? – I love it, I love it.
– Three like? – That’s… Okay?
– Yeah, yeah. – Boot camp, boot camp.
– Yeah. Vidya, looking forward
to meeting him? Shivam? You know, he seems great.
Shaan, let’s call him. Just hold on to that expression. Hold on to that expression, okay? Now, this information
will be given to you in Hindi by Vidya Vox as to whether you have been selected or not. You have been selected for Top 30. Congratulations! Okay, let us give you a double treat. This is Shivam. Oh my god! [Shaan laughing] Shivam, see, Shivam. Your hands are trembling, Shivam.
What’s wrong? Shivam, are you okay? Shivam, the fun begins now.
You will come to Mumbai now. And… Boot, boot camp…
Yes, there’s more in store. Rahman says so. You will attend boot camp and get trained. Even better… Sir, just one request. My mother just wants to see Rahman sir. Please, sir. – Please.
– Sir, just one second, sir. Yeah. Yeah. Please put her on. Mumma, Rahman sir. Rahman sir is live… He is Rahman sir and he’s Shaan sir. How are you? Greetings. Vidya: Aw, so cute. Greetings. – We will meet soon.
– Shivam: Thank you so much, sir. [SINGING DABI DABI SI HASI] I think this is out of his
comfort zone but he’s trying to do something that is not him. Every voice is right.
But then the right song makes that voice more convincing. [SINGING BAIRI PIYA] Yes, I think I’m not very convinced about
the tonality also. [SINGING BAIRI PIYA] She has a wonderful voice but… There’s a little shaky vibrato at places. [SINGING JAANE KYA BOLE MANN] I didn’t feel it somehow at all. Yeah? [SINGING BAAHON KE DARMIYAN] I think she’s got a charm she’s got a beautiful presence. She’s got a personality, but not for this. So, we’ll wish her the best and we’ll go on. [SINGING BAAHON KE DARMIYAN] A single advice to give
not only this show, every show. When they come in and then they
just do it and then fall flat… in front of us. To the family, to the friends
they sound great because you sort of like that person. But I think we should we should be honest about that.
We should tell them. We’re not looking for another Shreya Ghoshal. We’re not looking for another
Sunidhi Chauhan. We’re not looking for another Arijit Singh. Now, it’s my turn, so… I’m quite excited about this voice… There’s a swag… Not just the voice, but also the personality. And he’s enjoying himself. So, so let’s listen to Sanish Nair. [ROCK MUSIC PLAYING] We are Euphony Official. And we guys are here to support Sanish Nair. Euphony is not just a band.
It’s more like a family. He has been the pillar
of support for this band always. We respect his knowledge about music.
We respect his initiative about music. And he took us somewhere
we never expected in life. Sanish: So, when I came to ARRived
for the first time I thought I should get my solo singing skills
assessed, too. But the way the band supported me,
I got emotional. When they message me asking me
to take care of my voice… So, upon seeing that love and affection I decided, it’s not my battle alone. Now, it’s for my band members who trust me and are waiting for that opportunity
which will bring changes in our lives. [BUDDHU SA MANN PLAYING ] Good attitude. Yeah, he’s into it. Clinton: I mean, I really like it, actually. Let’s ask someone who wasn’t
seeing any of that. Yeah, exactly. Looks like, you can’t fool me. – I’ll just close my eyes.
– Yeah, close my eyes. No, but then I’m asking you guys, so… Cool, yeah. I liked him.
I thought he is like a nice soft voice but there is also some power
when he goes higher so, that would be worth exploring. I think that he’s got attitude to begin with.
Definitely, he’s got great stage presence. So we stick him to boot camp. – Brilliant.
– Yeah, let’s do it. Sanish, my brother, you’re going to
be in the top 30 boot camp. I’m looking forward, we’re all
looking forward to working with you. – Congratulations.
– Can’t believe this. Thank you so much for making my day.
Thank you so much. Narrator: Fifteen spots have already
been claimed. Will our next participant
make it to the top 30? So, my next contestant
is someone I’m really confident about I think, his stage presence is strong and, as he keeps singing… He’s got, he’s got swag. Definitely. He’s got some edge. – Why are you hard selling this?
– I’ll… My name is Sam Chandel and I’m from Delhi. I’m a singer and an actor. I dance too. I am an emotional person
and I’m not ashamed about it. I don’t regret it either. Because I can convey any emotion
through my voice. It means I have experienced that emotion. At times, people ask me, what do you think? How is a singer’s life? Easy or tough? I don’t know. My life is going on but I’m sure that I’ll make it, somehow. Because when I focus on something
I don’t give up until I do it That is my nature. Let’s have some fun with him. Let’s call him. – Rahman: Alright.
– Okay. Let’s call him and let’s watch
the audition with him live… Is that Sam? Yeah. Hi. Sam, this is Clinton Cerejo and… I very well know you, sir. Yeah, so, I’m here with Shaan, A.R.
and Vidya as well. – Hello, sir.
– We’re going to watch your audition – while you’re with us.
– Sure, sure. [SINGING JANAM JANAM] What do you think? You know, when he started singing,
immediately I thought… Yeah, fantastic, but then as the song went on I kind of found certain things
that were little confusing. [SUSPENSEFUL MUSIC] A.R., what do you feel about
the overall singing? Did it work for you? I… really don’t know… …whether he’s going to make it. [ARRIVED THEME PLAYING] – Didn’t get enough…
– Of the new episode… – Of ARRived?
– Don’t worry. There’s more to come your way. Stay tuned for lots more. Only on YouTube. On A.R. Rahman’s channel. – Subscribe to…
– A.R. Rahman’s YouTube channel. – To watch…
– The latest episodes of ARRived.